Zitat von Florian Klaempfl <flor...@freepascal.org>:

Mattias Gärtner schrieb:
Zitat von Florian Klaempfl <flor...@freepascal.org>:

[...]
A network file system is too slow for developing. Compiling anything via nfs or smb is a nightmare speedwise.

NFS over gigabit is not that bad.
For example compiling 94k lines of codetools on a network share and on local disc makes no difference. Compiling whole lazarus on a network share can be even faster than compiling locally, because saving a big chunk like the IDE executable is faster than the local disk.

Lazarus itself had some performance problems with network shares in the past, because of its many file stat calls. I implemented a caching some years ago, which accelerated it by orders of magnitudes.

My conclusion:
I agree with Jonas, you can use network shares for development machines.
Roaming profiles using auto copy/delete are not the best choice for that.

incremental syncs, dfs, ...).

Indeed, sources etc. are just stored on the local harddisk being checked out from the vcs.

Mattias