> This bug report does not make any sense.
>
> 1. FPC does link executables to dynamic libraries if you ask it to.
>     I do it every day.
It does - but zlib is included.

> 2. zlib is linked dynamically if you ask it to be. If the zlib unit  is
> used,
>     then zlib is linked dynamically. If they use paszlib, then the answer
>     is that
>     Paszlib is *NOT* zlib, and if that is used, then debian rules simply
>     don't apply.
>
> So what is the problem ?

I better show you the concrete example I'm working on. I'm the maintainer
of easymp3gain, a package developed using Lazarus LCL and FPC.
If you have Debian Sid installed, you can easily grab the package source
using the command dget
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/e/easymp3gain/easymp3gain_0.5.0-3.dsc

If you build the package using lazbuild, lintian (the Debian policy checker
tool) throws an error described here:
 http://lintian.debian.org/tags/embedded-zlib.html
As you can see, the FPC/LCL packages Lazarus and WinFF are also affected of
this behavior.
Why do we get this error of zlib beeing statically linked by FPC?
Regards
  Matthias

P.S: The full source code of easymp3gain without Debian packaging & patches
can be found here:
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/e/easymp3gain/easymp3gain_0.5.0.orig.tar.gz