On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:45:26 +0200 (CEST), Michael Van Canneyt
<mich...@freepascal.org> wrote:
> [...]
>
> As you can see, it uses libz (or zlib) but dynamically, probably through
> some library dependency.
>
> So I have no idea why they think it is linked statically. I searched the
> sources, but found
> no direct dependency on paszlib or zlib, but there is an indirect
> dependency, because the paszlib
> units are used. I think the jpeg and png support are the cause of this.
>
> If you add the -s option to the compiler command line, in the link.res
file
> that is then
> generated when compiling, you can see that the paszlib unit is used.
>
> Maybe they look for a function name (as suggested by Micha). In that case
> you should make
> clear that zlib is not linked statically, but that paszlib simply
contains
> a function with
> the same name.

Now I got the confirmation from a developer who is developing Lintian that
this is a false positive. (A bug in Lintian)
FPC uses a translated header which matches the regex Lintian uses to detect
embedded ZLibs.
Curious that this has been overriden for over four years and noone ever
asked if it could be a bug in the Debian tool instead of FPC.
Thnks for your clearification!