On 10.12.2010 20:18, Andrew Brunner wrote:
Hi there,

I'm considering pascal scripting engines in stead of hot-swaped compiled
stored objects/dlls for server back-end development for clients (namely
WebSocket/JS).  I came across a few relatively recent solutions and
wanted to know if there are any obscure "light weight" scripting engines
but yet leverage byte code.  My largest problem would be security
though.  I would want to limit script engine access to OS level calls.
I need to be able to "sandbox" these back-end apps so they don't
interfere with the server process.

Any thoughts/recommendations?  Thanks.

Some time ago I have converted Delphi Web Script (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/dws/ ). Don't let the name fool you though. It's a normal scripting engine and I'm successfully running it on i386-win32, i386-linux and x86_64-linux. I've also tested a simple script on arm-wince.

But DWS hasn't been updated since quite some time and recently someone else has started a fork of it with focus on Delphi 2009+ compatibility. I'm currently trying to compile this new variant with FPC, but the author has decided to use many Delphi 2009+ features like extended records (luckily the author isn't using variant parts, so I can use objects), extended RTTI (although that is concentrated in one unit), generics (solveable with some ifdefs) and nested types (I'll have to test trunk here, because 2.4.2 has problems with Delphi's syntax).

A link to the author's blog is here: http://delphitools.info/dwscript/ I'd suggest you to read through his DWS related blog entries ( http://delphitools.info/tag/dws/ ) as they contain some interesting performance information as well - which might not be valid for the old DWS though.

Regards,
Sven