On 29/07/11 06:39, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:

Bernd schrieb:
 > Occasionally I hear other people mentioning operator overloading as a
 > must-have feature of any decent language but I wonder what real-world
 > problems they are actually solving with it.

I think operator overloading is a pain. As you said: What is the
advantage? For me operators should be defined by the language only

It improves readability, making it more logical. Say for instance you are working on Galois fields and you have to do arithmetic on the elements like this:

g1 + g2 / g3

If you don't have operator overloading, you have to do it with functions, like this:

gf_add(g1, gf_div(g2, g3))

This is not very readable, I'm sure you will agree. They have to be used carefully, however.

clear. But now there is no way back. It's implemented. Pascal moves in C
direction...

Troll.  C has no operator overloading.

Henry