On Mon, 24 Sep 2012, Reinier Olislagers wrote:

On 24-9-2012 17:22, michael.vancanneyt-0is9kj9s...@public.gmane.org wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2012, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
2. Presumably sdfdataset is used to exchange data with Delphi systems
using tstrings.delimitedtext. Therefore I'm stressing Delphi
compatibility in my tests. Do you think this is justified?

No, definitely not. The two are totally unrelated.
I'm very confused here. To say the least.

So remarks like these from sdfdataset:
14/Ago/01  Version 2.00 (Orlando Arrocha)
     Delimiter property added to TSdfDataSet. No more dependency on
CommaText
        methodology -- choose your own delimiter.

means sdfdataset just happened to use commatext but the format does not
need to be sdf?

Define SDF ?

(SDF => see
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/Libraries/en/System.Classes.TStrings.CommaText)

That is not a usable definition.

And the name sdfdataset does not mean the dataset actually needs to use
sdf format data?

That depends on how you define SDF data.
There are 76 definitions of SDF. Several of which are a data format.

The one I know is a fixed-length format (Standard Data Format), so totally different from what Borland/Embarcadero/whatever knows.

Finally, I'll post on the forum that sdf compatibility is not one of the
goals of sdfdataset.

Is there some defined on-disk format that sdfdataset should be following?

As I understood it, it is either fixed length or CSV. CSV as in http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4180