This is exactly what I thought. You are trying to use the GTK1 unit. The unit for GTK+ is called "gtk2". Take a look into "packages/gtk" and "packages/gtk2" of a Free Pascal source folder to see the differences in the units (just look at the *.pas/*.pp files and ignore the *.inc files for now).

Also you could try whether you can compile the examples listed in "packages/gtk2/examples".

Regards,
Sven
________
Thanks Sven

I am sure you are right about this.

Do you happen to know if there is a way to specify the install directory? I don't blame you guys for not using autotools but I often use a flag --prefex=/pat with configure to install into a directory not in my PATH. I then call my source built programs using their full path names instead. I installed 2.4 by mistake from source(in /usr) and seem to be having trouble removing it.

Thanks again for all your time-Patrick