On 02/11/2013 01:57 PM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013, Giuliano Colla wrote:
It can be helped both by reducing the likelihood of the event, as you've done, and by not suggesting to use in that case a try..finally construct in a GUI application, which would mask the errors. This suggestion comes historically from Delphi literature, but fpc/Lazarus developers should never forget that they're smarter than Delphi people. ;-)

I didn't suggest anything. I wrote 'deal with such cases'. How, this I leave up to the programmer.

I wasn't speaking of you. You didn't. But too many examples show it that way. Programmers are influenced by examples.

But I will say this: trying to format the user's harddrive or attempt to fry his monitor is usually the wrong approach ;)

Creating a .config/ directory is somehow more in the natural programming practice, than formatting user's hard drive, or frying his monitor. We'll leave those practice to Redmond developers....

Giuliano