reinierolislag...@gmail.com wrote:
On 9-3-2013 14:08, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
I don't know whether anybody can help me with this one, but I'm working
on something where I need a program to be able to create login-capable
database users on-the-fly. I was hoping to be able to use either
PostgreSQL or Firebird as the backend, but while Postgres is working
fine Firebird is proving to be sufficiently difficult that I might just
drop it.
..
Unfortunately I'm having a lot of difficulty doing this under program
control, with the obvious difference being that FPC/Lazarus is
connecting via a socket.

Has anybody had anything like this working in the past?

Have you tried the Firebird admin module that Ludo Brands wrote? It
connects using the FB service interface and allows user creation.

Firebird also offers CREATE USER SQL AFAIR (since FB 2.5, perhaps earlier)

I think gmail's delaying things :-) I've not tried that yet, but it's on the list. I've just spent a while checking that some related SQL works with PostgreSQL (i.e. getting quoting correct etc.) since it's easier to debug.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk