Sven Barth wrote:

If only I'm the core dev, I would mark the C operator feature as deprecated
and remove it in the next major version.

[Note: No personal attack intended with the next sentence] In that case I think we are lucky that you aren't a core dev :P We value backwards compatiblity very high and this is part of it, no matter whether these c-like operators are considered good or bad...

What is it about Pascal programmers and their assumption that verbosity is a prerequisite to clarity?

Elsewhere, I see an otherwise-sensible Delphi programmer enthusing about LiveCode which appears to be some species of Visual COBOL. Sometimes I wonder whether I'm on the right planet.

I, for one, see absolutely nothing wrong with += etc. since it's an unambiguous idiom which came into use decades ago and is now almost universally understood. Things like ptr++ or Inc(ptr) are far more pernicious.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk