leledumbo wrote:
I, for one, see absolutely nothing wrong with += etc. since it's an
unambiguous idiom which came into use decades ago and is now almost universally understood.

I see one: compatibility with other compilers, though I exclusively use FPC,
some people in groups I'm involved in asks general Pascal/Delphi questions,
which I can't answer with this C-ish feature.

I must emphasise that my "nothing wrong" applied to += as a general language feature, not to its use where portability was concerned. But I must also add that I got this from an accomplished Delphi user (and occasional journalist) this morning:

"PS: I like the idea of += in Pascal. How far do they take it? Is there a /=, *=, mod=, or=, xor=?"

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk