On 13-04-29 04:48 PM, Adrian Maier wrote:
On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 7:37 PM, Nikolay Nikolov
<nick...@users.sourceforge.net <mailto:nick...@users.sourceforge.net>>
wrote:

    On 04/29/2013 12:49 PM, Michael Schnell wrote:

        On 04/27/2013 02:11 PM, Bart wrote:

            On 4/27/13, Reinier Olislagers <reinierolislag...@gmail.com
            <mailto:reinierolislag...@gmail.com>> wrote:

                Noticed that an 8086 branch was merged to fpc trunk. Is
                it time to get
                out some 5.25" diskettes[1]?

                [1] Shame I dumped all the accompanying hardware long
                ago ;) Perhaps
                break out DOSBOX ;)

        I think I still can dig out some 8" single sided single density
        diskettes with 160 K or something.

    Actually, for me, the most convenient way to transfer data to and
    from a vintage PC is via an RS232 null modem cable. You can connect
    it to your modern PC directly - even if you don't have an RS232
    port, there are cheap USB to RS232 converters available, if
    necessary, while there's no normal way to attach a 5.25 inch floppy
    to a modern PC.

Hi ,

Hmm... as far as know there should be no problem to use a 5.25 floppy
with a modern PC ?  ...  as long as the motherboard has the floppy
connector and you have a cable like this
http://www.simulationexams.com/tutorials/aplus/core/images/fdd-cable.jpg  ?

--
Adrian M

Most (all?) current boards no longer have a floppy connector. My most recent motherboard, a mini-atx, doesn't even have an IDE connector.

I still have my Z-80A system with two Tandon half-height 8" single sided drives. I haven't attempted to power it up in 25 years. I also have my original CP/M 80 disc and my original TurboPascal version 1.0 for Z-80 on an eight inch disc with the manual. I doubt any of the discs are readable.

Single sided, single density eight inch discs hold 243 KILO-bytes. If I remember correctly, a standard disc had 77 tracks with 26 sectors of 128 bytes per sector per track. The original 5.25" single sided disc had a capacity of 160K. I don't remember the layout.

Rolf

--
                               TRUTH in her dress finds facts too tight.
                               In fiction she moves with ease.