Luca Olivetti wrote:
Al 04/07/13 17:24, En/na Mark Morgan Lloyd ha escrit:

In any event, my experience is that USB->serial converters are very poor
for anything that involves accurate timing, and I suspect that
controlling a 485 transceiver in conjunction with one would be
problematic.

Not if the converter manages the rx/tx switching all by itself

I think I asked FTDI about this a couple of years ago, and
was told that their hardware had facilities that would help but
exploiting them would take a non-standard driver.

The ones I used worked with the standard driver: send something, it
automatically enables the transmitter, after the last bit has been
transmitted it goes in high impedance mode ready for listening/receiving.

Yes, but I was considering the case of using an off-the-shelf USB->RS232 device, followed by an RS232->RS485 converter (OP's note of this morning).

A couple of years ago I was reverse-engineering the protocol used by some HP protocol analysers (so that I could use them for reverse-engineering protocols...) and my initial hack used a couple of standard USB devices. Unless I slowed the data stream right down (300 Baud) the driver buffering messed things up to the extent that I couldn't determine where there were gaps, let alone measure them so I could work out what the timeouts were.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk