On 12/14/2013 8:00 AM, Jonas Maebe wrote:

On 13 Dec 2013, at 21:33, waldo kitty wrote:

On 12/13/2013 3:12 PM, Johannes W. Dietrich wrote:
Sorry, I cannot understand your message. Which software do I need to decode it?

what you quoted is a MIME encoded block... the message headers should give you
the information needed to decode it... your mail software should have decoded
it for you...

No, because the MIME header seems to be invalid.

thunderbird had no problem decoding the post...

It should at least contain something like "Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64",

i haven't found where this is required but i've not tried to dig into the RFCs either... most of them give me massive headaches :(

otherwise the mail client doesn't know it has to decode it.

see above... thunderbird had no problems with it... perhaps thunderbird analyzes the info? i dunno but i showed the three content-* lines from the post...

It seems more like that there's a buggy mail server in the path (there was no
base64-encoded part in the message I received).

ummm... that strange block that you quoted was exactly that base64 encoded part! i copied it exactly as you sent it and pasted it into the site i pointed you to... some slight editing to remove the leading '> ' and then a li'l click on their decode button and the text was shown exactly as thunderbird had decoded it from the original message... the poster quoted your message and prefixed each line with '> ', wrapped each line to ~75 characters, and then added their message text below your quoted text...

---
is active.