On 03/07/2015 11:22, fpc-pascal-requ...@lists.freepascal.org wrote:
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 13:30:07 +0200
From: Jonas Maebe<jonas.ma...@elis.ugent.be>
To: FPC-Pascal users discussions<fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org>
Subject: Re: [fpc-pascal] Delphi mode for new features?

We can't help that. FPC supported operator overloading long before Delphi did.
Yes, and I consider that it was implemented more clear and properly in FPC than in Delphi.

I still don't understand this argument. If you want to compile a unit
both with FPC and Delphi, develop the code in Delphi (so you don't
accidentally use FPC-specific routines from the FPC RTL) and use
{$mode delphi} to compile it in FPC. Of course you can't use
FPC-specific features if you want to compile your code also with
Delphi, just like you can't use GCC-specific features if you want to
compile your code also with MSVC.
My point is "in the perfect world we don't need to use {$MODE DELPHI} for common use of both compilers and framework cores". So we should use subset of FPC/Delphi languages (in the perfect world Delphi is a subset of FPC).
Every convergence make subset bigger. And vice versa.

There are many years ago I used GCC/MSVC for cross-platform dev and if you follow the standard (with isolating platform-specific code), the problems go away in many cases.

The strong point of C/C++ is the standard.
Maybe will see it for (Object, Free,...) Pascal too.

Regards,
Serguei