Graeme Geldenhuys wrote on Wed, 11 May 2016:

On 2016-05-11 13:05, Jonas Maebe wrote:

Your concern is with utf8string, not with string/ansistring.
UTF8String is a AnsiString with utf-8 code page set.
If you
only use string/ansistring/unicodestring, then the behaviour of your
program will be identical with FPC 2.6.4 and 3.0. With utf8string, the
result is different in FPC 3.0 because now, just like when assigning

No it's not. I welcome you to try the program yourself. The test program
includes a $DEFINE where I can toggle between using String or
UTF8String. Simply disable that define at the top of the unit.

That's because you have {$modeswitch unicodestring}, so string=unicodestring. If you change the string to unicodestring (since FPC 2.6.4 does not know {$modeswitch unicodestring}), you should get the same results in FPC 2.6.4 and FPC 3.x (since then they are also actually using the same string type).

I can't easily try myself as I have no database server whatsoever running, nor any experience with setting them up.

Jonas