I just double checked my results again. With u: String variable and
compiled with FPC 3.0 and running in a Latin-1 environment, data is
completely corrupted.
It will be good to know where this happens.
Because AFAIK fcl-db internaly uses AnsiString/String so assigning between them should not trigger any code page conversion. So if you fetch UTF-8 data from database and then you move them between various string instances, they should be preserved.
(no matter than ACP of String is Latin1)
So in end when you save this data to file they should still be UTF-8 encoded ?
Can you dump binary content of "u" before is saved to file ?
-Laco.