On 12/03/17 12:00, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
On 2017-03-11 20:06, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:>  From the architecture side of
things, Linux (which in practice means > Debian) is in deep trouble on SPARC. The
core problem is that for the

One could always try FreeBSD + SPARC too.
   https://www.freebsd.org/platforms/sparc.html

Yes, I agree and was planning to mention it (and you as an occasional advocate). However has anybody, /ever/, tried FPC on that combination? Does xBSD have the same problem as Linux that things like syscall numbers tend to vary across platforms?

I've spoken to people who gave me to understand that SPARC had a bit more life in it on xBSD than on Linux, and if it's still viable there as a 32-bit target it might be preferable. I've only fired up the new 64-bit SPARC Debian on a couple of occasions, and I'd imagine that providing backward compatibility (i.e. Multiarch etc.) isn't high on the porters list of priorities.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk