In our previous episode, Jon Foster said:

> I read that some were having trouble compiling Graeme's code because of SDL
> version differences so I stripped out the SDL code and replaced the timing
> function with traditional time/now calls. I then realized I still had Kylix
> buried in some recess of all these excess terabytes and thought I'd see
> what happens if I compiled the code with that. So I went through another
> set of changes taking out all of the neat FPC C style operators and
> returning them to the traditional ones. And put "inline" declarations and
> other useful FPC defines in ifdefs. I then back ported all of those changes
> into the SDL enabled code just to make sure it still rendered accurately.

Probably it needs to turn of FPU exceptions also, sometimes I a lot of floating
point division by zero

I ran the mctest a few times with different parameters:

i386:
just compile : 7.9   (both 3.0.2 and 3.1.1)
  -O4          3.0.2: 8.2   3.1.1: 8.1
-O4 -Opcoreavx2 -Cfavx2 -Cpcoreavx2     3.0.2 8.35   3.1.1 : 12.1

x64: only 3.1.1, sometimes divide by zero (have to set exception mask?)
just compile 13.9
-O4   :  19.5
-O4 -Opcoreavx2 -Cfavx2 -Cpcoreavx2 : 19.1