When in doubt, have a look at the source code of the graphical primitives to determine the semantics of each one. Unlike line primitive which draws a path immediately, lineto is meant to be used multiple times, as part of a draw path. So, lineto does not really draw, it just adds a vertex to a vertex storage object. To draw a path, you need to use the drawPath(option):

  agg^.lineWidth(4);
  agg^.lineColor(0, 155, 0, 255);
  agg^.rectangle(10, 10, 50, 50);
  agg^.lineColor(155, 0, 0, 255);
  agg^.line(60, 10, 60, 50);
agg^.lineto(100,50); //no line drawn here, just adds to vertex storage
  agg^.drawPath(StrokeOnly);   //draw path
  agg^.lineColor(0, 0, 155, 255);
  agg^.moveto(100, 10);
agg^.lineto(100,50); //no line drawn here, just adds to vertex storage
  agg^.drawPath(StrokeOnly);   //draw path
  agg^.lineColor(155, 0, 155, 255);
  agg^.line(120, 10, 120, 50);