So I looked for a systematic naming convention, but according to the Linux
allocated devices list (https://static.lwn.net/kernel
doc/admin-guide/devices.html) there is a large number of tty* names in use
for different serial drivers.  Perhaps a different approach (
https://stackoverflow.com/a/9914339) is called for...

When I implemented the pascalscada serial port component, I decided to use
serial.pp to avoid one more package dependency and missing features in
synaser at the moment that I started the Implementation (2010/2011). So I
implemented the missing features directly on pascalSCADA serial port.

To enumerate serial ports on Linux, the stackoverflow link of the last
message is the best approach that I tested, but works only on Linux. For
BSDs, MacOS and Solaris, I still using the approach of name pattern with
numbered suffixes. On Windows BuildCommBCD Windows API function can be
used, similar to the approach used FreeBSD, Mac e Solaris...