On Tue, 17 Jul 2018, Henry Vermaak wrote:

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 03:02:42PM +0200, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal wrote:
Santiago A. <s...@ciberpiula.net> schrieb am Mo., 16. Juli 2018, 13:41:

> I have some suggestions of change to freepascal syntax, just to debate
>
> (All are backward compatible)
>
> - Declaring variables inside blocks, and loop variables

-> reduces readability -> no interest

How can it reduce readability?  You move variables closer to where they
are used, therefore reducing clutter in the main "var" section.

Pascal separates declaration from implementation. This proposal changes that, it mixes implementation with declaration.

When you look for a variable, you know it is in the declaration block.
If you need to start scanning the code, this is a major nuisance.
I can't count the misunderstandings in Javascript due to this 'feature'.

Given that the length a typical routine should not exceed 50 lines - i.e. fits on a modern screen - you can :
a) not have too many variables anyway.
b) see them at the glance of an eye at the top of your screen.