Thank you everyone who helped me with this.  I have both the Lazarus version
and the FPC console version both working with a Save-As  dialog and message
boxes for errors.  Basic functionality is working great with both methods.
Since it's such a simple program, I'll tinker with it with both methods for a
while and use it as a learning process.   I am encouraged by getting this to
work in Lazarus, so it's probably time I took to time to learn more about it
instead of always writing console applications, I can see where it would be
great to have some buttons for options and things like that... and at the same
time I am thrilled to have such capability in my console applications!

James