I am trying work with fpPDF. I can create PDF document, but character
out of ASCII range are displayed wrong (in PDF file they are stored as
UTF8).
First things first... what version of FPC are you using? FPC 3.0.4 or
FPC 3.1.1 - just so I know what code to look at.

I tried both versions 3.0.4 and also trunk

I had a quick look and indeed there is something strange (or different)
with the "cour.ttf" font. At closer inspection (using FontForge font
editor) the "cour.tff" as supplied by Microsoft is some hybrid
TTF+Bitmap font. The "arial.ttf" is a pure truetype font (no bitmap
glyphs embedded).

Not 100% sure yet if that is the cause or not. Maybe some special
processing is needed for hybrid fonts. I'll investigate further.

I think that problem is related to font parsing. As I wrote in comment to bug report #35251 there is incorrectly extracted information about char Widths ... look into attached generated PDF there ...

Thank you ...

-Laco.