Theresa de Valence wrote:
Subject: 4 sided pages in book printing?

Hello Framers and John (because I like your answers to other peoples'
questions!):

I am just getting around to setting up my first book to print
semi-automatically on legal paper from a regular office printer (later
to be converted into 5.5" x 8.5" pages). Up until now I have created
such documents by manually selecting where each article would print on
which page. I would now like to set up the book so that this is a more
automated process.

So far, these are the issues which I must resolve along with my guess at
the right way to do it:

The right way to do it is either as John suggests, by letting a professional print house take care of it, or (if you are definitely printing in-house regardless) by buying a page imposition program such as QuiteImposing (quite.com) or (at the less expensive end) Clickbook from Blue Squirrel (bluesquirrel.com). These programs take your regularly paginated FM book and rearrange the pages to print in booklet form.

Dov Isaacs warns against the less expensive solutions, but so far I've had no problems using Clickbook to print to Adobe PDF and thence to our colour printer. (OK, *one* problem: Clickbook can't handle EPS graphics properly. I just changed to PNG and JPG.)

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"Democracy: you can’t export it abroad when you don’t practise it at home."
--Jack Layton

Get Firefox!
http://tinyurl.com/8q9c5