Hello Loren

Before you start looking for a translation company have a look at your manuals
and documentation and check if these are suited for translation. There are many
guidelines available (on the internet, perform a search for 'guide to
localization' or similar), also from FrameMaker users. Note that although your
FrameMaker manuals may be set up to be perfectly printed or converted to PDF,
there can be many issues that frustrate proper translation. Besides that, there
are many issues to consider: illustrations, software screens, software strings
(menu items refered to in the manuals), on line help, etc. You should take all
this into account when designing your international documentation.

FrameMaker files can be saved as MIF and all translation tools can use MIF
files as input for translation, thus generating a translated MIF file that can
be opened in FrameMaker again. Basically all text will be replaced by
translated text, while keeping all formatting. But be aware that the results
may not be as expected when the documents are not properly prepared. For
example all 'tweaked' formatting and manual overrides (hard returns, extra
spaces) are maintained - the length of other languages will differ from English
text so results can be awkward (Spanish text will take at least 140% more space
then English text).

If you don't use FrameMaker yet, you could consider to start creating XML and
publish using FrameMaker (or any other tool). XML can be translated easily as
well.

You can contact me off list if you need any further help on this.

Met vriendelijke groet / kind regards,
Wim Hooghwinkel [EMAIL PROTECTED]
DTP and XML Management
Scriptware bv http://www.scriptware.nl
tel : +31 (0)23 548 48 84
fax : +31 (0)23 548 48 85
http://www.scriptware.nl
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Translation |  DTP |  Technical Writing |  Content Management |  Consultancy