Thx Fred,

I had allowed for the name change and didn't use Save As with v6.0 -- but your other points (especially the FILE port, which I don't remember seeing) look very promising.

I've been putting off doing a full re-build with XP Pro; looks like that has marched itself up my priority list too :)

I'll post the results -- and thx again.

jjj

Fred Ridder wrote:
There are a couple of potential gotchas. Either or both (or
neither...) could be the cause of your problem. Or it could
be related to your practice of configuring from existing
images rather than doing clean installations (which I have
always found to be a much more trouble-free approach).
Unless you have a specific reason to stick with Windows 2000,
you might want to consider starting over with a clean XP
installation; Microsoft no longer actively supports Win2000
which means that they are no longer making any effort to
plug any more of its security holes (although the freedom
from all those "critical" security update notices may be a
welcome thing to many users...).

Anyway, the two common Acrobat upgrade gotchas:

The name of the Acrobat virtual printer was changed after
Acrobat 5.0.  New versions of Acrobat name it "Adobe PDF"
rather "Acrobat Distiller", and if your FrameMaker installations
may still be looking for the older name.

The Acrobat 7.0 installation has been known to corrupt the
definition of the default FILE: port, which appears to be
necessary for the Save As PDF feature to work properly. Make
sure that there is a port defined with exactly that name:
FILE: (in all caps and with a full colon after it).

And at the risk of restarting a minor holy war, I assume that
you are aware of the drawbacks of using the Save As PDF
mechanism with on a Windows box with versions of FrameMaker
prior to 7.0. Even with 7.0, there are still some funky issues,
and my personal recommendation is to use the free SetPrint
plugin from Sundorne Communications (www.sundorne.com)
which allows you to set the Adobe PDF printer as FrameMaker's
default printer regardless of what printer you have set as your
Windows default.

--
John Pitt, technical writer