The only time I actually had to deal with tis was at my last empoyer, where we
used Documentum and the now-discontinued FrameLink interface.  No matter what
the apparent hierarchy of the files within the Documentum repository, when you
checked them out they were all placed in one working directory.  (The
repository folders were just metadata attributes of the file objects, and could
be changed at will without changing anything inside the files themselves.)  I
may have to face the issue of inter-book x-refs on the project I'm just
starting on, and I must say I'm not looking forward to it.

-Fred Ridder

Subject: RE: Cross references between booksDate: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 14:49:46
-0700From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
framers@lists.frameusers.com

Thanks, Fred.

I do want to nest my PDF's by one level, although not by the two levels they
are currently nested in my doc tree. I like your idea of putting them in a
common "build" folder, but since this changes my level hierarchy, I will have
to go through and fix every cross reference between the books when I put them
in this folder. I think I can save the .fm file as a .mif, wash one level of
the relative path, and resave it as the .fm file, but I feel like that's not
going to be a fun process if I want fully operational PDFs very often.

How do others address this...is it better to put all your books in one folder
to begin with?

From: Fred Ridder [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008
2:16 PMTo: Callie Bertsche; Art CampbellCc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: RE: Cross
references between books
Callie Bertsche responded to Art and Rick:> Thanks to both of you! A v. logical
solution. Hmm, my files are so> nested, sub-optimal for inclusion...I wonder if
I can change this with> an add-on like Timesavers... As long as you are
generating a single PDF for each book (rather thanseparate files for each
chapter), you only have to ensure that the book files are in the same directory
(with all the chapter files in thecorrect locations relative to their
respective book files, of course).When you're making a single PDF from each
book, FrameMaker andAcrobat only resolve the relative file locations at the
book level. Itdoesn't matter haw the component files are organized below the
book. Inter-book links can get pretty messy. One approach that works wellis to
make a duplicate of each book and all its components in a special"build"
directory for the sole purpose of making the PDFs. Once the PDFs have been
checked, you can scrap the duplicate copies. And Bruce Foster's Archive tool m
 akes it relatively painless to collect upand make duplicates of all the files
that comprise each book. -Fred Ridder