Garnier Garnier wrote:
> Hello Listers,
>
> I have a question:
>
> Which is the ideal font that is supported by all browsers, and on Windows and
> Linux?
>
> The html page that I am working on does not use any specific fonts or size.
> The Heading uses the H2 tag and the body uses the body tag. Depending on the
> browser used to open the page it would pick up the default font on both OS.
> Now most system requirements at our end have changed on Linux due to which
> the display is normal on Windows but not on Linux. On Linux the font size and
> type has changed. The size is 70 and bold.
>
> B/R
> Garnier

For the browser part of your questions, you are probably aware of the
vendor/user defaults for a particular user agent (browser) For example,
for the FF 3.5 browser on Windows XP, the res\html.css file in the
installation folder has its default settings. Other browsers work similarly.

As a rule, I use a reset CSS file in my PHP/XHTML websites to reset some
of those default settings--using the following Tripoli CSS definitions:

Gary

    |/*
    Tripoli is a generic CSS standard for HTML rendering.
    Copyright (C) 2007  David Hellsing

    This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published
    by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
    (at your option) any later version.

    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
    WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
    General Public License for more details.

    along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
    */

    * {
      text-decoration: none;
      font-size: 1em;
      outline: none;
      padding: 0;
      margin: 0;
    }
    code, kbd, samp, pre, tt, var, textarea, input, select, isindex,
    listing, xmp, plaintext {
      white-space: normal;
      font-size: 1em;
      font: inherit;
    }
    dfn, i, cite, var, address, em {
      font-style: normal;
    }
    th, b, strong, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
      font-weight: normal;
    }
    a, img, a img, iframe, form, fieldset, abbr, acronym, object,
    applet, table {
      border: none;
    }
    table {