At 02:04 +0000 12/8/11, visualbis...@comcast.net wrote:

>What are the general thoughts from this "community?" What are the PROs and
>CONs? What should I recommend? We are a small startup business (check out
><http://www.agilyx.com>www.agilyx.com), and have to keep an eye on the budget,
>but we want to create professional results in everything we do.

As Peter suggested, older version would only be occasionally available from the
likes of eBay. However, I went to FrameMaker 7 on Mac via that route and it
gave me no problems. At some point I will try to go to v 8 for Windows via the
same route, when I upgrade my main Mac to one of the Intel-based models.

I have no direct experience of versions after 7, but others have said they
prefer FrameMaker 8. v 9 introduced the new Adobe-style palette-based UI, to
general derision, but DITA support got better across 8 -> 9 -> 10. Conditional
text was improved significantly with one of the version later than 7 to allow
the use of Boolean conditions, but I'm not sure whether those came in with v 8
or v 9.

If you don't need DITA/structure, consider looking for a second-hand full copy
of FrameMaker 8, but see what other opinions you get.

--
Steve