Steve Rickaby wrote:
> It was just an example taken at random from recent experience. I'm sure there
> is a workaround,
> but the writer is a software expert and researcher, and the fact that he
> didn't know about this sort
> of proves my case - that getting good results out of LaTeX requires deep
> knowledge ;-) I am sure
> that it can be made to do great things, but I've never seen what I would
> consider acceptable results
> come out of it in the the hands of non-experts.

Oh, yes, understood and agreed!

It definitely does take much more effort to learn and use LaTeX. And the
problem is that there are _often_ add-in packages that will fix any issue that
is observed in output.

But researching and learning the availability (and nuances) of a particular
package for a particular issue does take time. Time that is well-spent if LaTeX
is the primary tool, but not as easy to justify for occasional work, yes.