C2,
   There's a RemoveExtraWhiteSpacesOnXMLImport setting in maker.ini.  It is initially set to On. When it is On, when FM reads an XML document, it condenses a sequence of spaces and newlines into a single space. It assumes that an element that is declared to be EMPTY in XML does not interrupt such a sequence. That assumption makes sense for something like a marker element, so that if the XML contains a marker element on a separate line, for example, it does not come into FM with a space on either side of the marker. System variable elements and cross-reference elements have similar declarations in XML. However, since they usually produce visible content in the FM document, I think they should be treated like text rather than empty elements during import.

    If your XML documents do not have sequences of white space that you want to condense to a single space, you can set RemoveExtraWhiteSpacesOnXMLImport to Off. Alternatively, you can use XSLT to change the space after a cross-reference to something that will import as a space. I haven't tested it, but I believe the character reference   will do what you want.

    --Lynne