Wichert Akkerman wrote:
Previously Tom Lazar wrote:
this is a fundamental change in how the framework team will operate from now on. we're no longer just a group of individuals who quietly need to make some sense of PLIPs and their implementation on their own but more of a clearing house.

So, do I understand correctly that the group of people that selected the
framework team (which does not include those selected people itself) has
also gone one step further and defined a whole new process for how that
team will work?

As one of the responsible ones for that decision I'll add
my view as well.

I think we all share Wichert's concerns that UI needs to get
more attention - and so does documentation.

As has been pointed out already there is an expectation that
the way in which the framework team is going to work might
change (and I stress this is an expectation by some at this point
- no clear cut decisions yet. And yes, that can be criticized.).

Rather than having team members with different domains of
expertise taking care of different aspects of PLIPs it has
been suggested that framework team members act more
like editors of a scientific journal meaning they can decide
on acceptance if they feel comfortable with the decision but
they usually ask for advice from respected players in the
field. This can take any form in principle.

Here, my expectation is that team members may choose to bring
up whatever they think needs to be considered - either on the
dev list or by actively approaching someone they trust. They
take the responsibility for the decision they make but they
don't necessarily do the work of reviewing and evaluating
everything themselves.

It is still not an easy task as people can fail to address the
right issues in the first place but I do have a strong trust
in the appointed team that they will do their best also when
it comes to UI evaluations and improvements as well as to
documentation matters.

Sure enough we don't know yet whether this will work as
expected but at least I do see a chance that this could even
be better than having one or two (usually very busy) UI
experts on the team who are expected to look at each
and every PLIP with respect to UI issues.

Just my 2 cents,

   Raphael

Wichert.