On 18-08-2010 08.07, Martin Aspeli wrote:
>>         • 10778 (Stand-alone UUID)

> I think my reason for wanting it in the core, is twofold:
>
>   - There's a proliferation of half-solutions to this problem right
> now. We need something blessed that people feel safe relying on. There
> is a cost associated with each half-solution in terms of catalogue
> bloat and in terms of confusion.

We have repeatedly had frustration with the lack of a unified UID system
that we can depend on when writing add-ons. To base something on it as a
developer, you need to know you can depend on it being available always.

I don't think it makes sense to postpone it "because nothing uses it yet".

--
Geir Bækholt
www.jarn.com/baekholt