On 5 September 2010 19:17, Martin Aspeli <optilude+li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 September 2010 15:29, Hanno Schlichting <ha...@hannosch.eu> wrote:
>> - Once we have intid's we can change the internal unique id of the
>> catalog from the physical path over to an intid.
>
> Perhaps we should consider using UUIDs instead of intids?

We want to use intids because it is more efficient to intersect sets
of integers. They are only an implementation detail though, and it
should be possible to zap and rebuild your catalogue (assigning
different intids) without problems.

>> - Once we have parent pointers we can probably ditch storing metadata
>> in the catalog and load objects directly.
>
> Why do __parent__ pointers help here?

With __parent__ pointers you can pull an object directly out of the
ZODB complete with it's location context. That means fetching the
title and description for an item is usually just an object load.

What's not so clear about this is how we index an object's path and
it's allowed roles and users for the view permission. We should be
able to learn from Zope3 here though.

Tthere are balances to be struck between read and write efficiency here.

Laurence