Hi Christine, the process I read about was coffee, vit C, AND washing soda,
I'm not opposed to using all 3 but I think washing soda may be hard to find
in southern california. Basically I want to shoot the hi-con and experiment
with degrading it during processing to give it some nice brakhage esque
texture; bubbles, scratches, i'd like to figure out a good technique for
solarizing, etc. any recommendations? also do you order your 7378  through
kodak directly,  if so what's your contact. Thanks!

-Carrie

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Christine Lucy Latimer <
christinelucylati...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The suggestion to use sodium carbonate (washing soda) is a good one. It's
> MUCH more economical than vitamin C as an activator, blends faster with
> coffee and therefore produces cleaner results on your film.
>
> I've processed a great deal of film (motion and still) with caffeinol (my
> most recent hi-con process was using expired, 12 year old 7378 from my
> freezer, and it worked beautifully). If you don't object to lengthier
> developing times, you can substitute the coffee in your caffeinol mix with
> anything containing caffeic acid...such as black/green tea or red wine
> (wine is obviously more expensive, but it's a great thing to try at least
> once. Just as with coffee, the cheaper the wine, the better the developer.)

Carrie Schreck
Filmmaker, photographer, and all-around cool chick.
(415) 730 1146