 From: Myron Ort <z...@sonic.net>
To: Experimental Film Discussion List <frameworks@jonasmekasfilms.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 4:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Frameworks] Andy Warhol's SLEEP / Providence, RI / Feb 18 / Magic
Lantern + RK Projects

I always thought that the dual speed 16mm projectors were 24fps and
16fps.  18fps was a speed on the Super 8 projectors and dual 8/S8
projectors. Was sound speed for S8/reg.8mm also 24fps? I think it
was, but not sure now.
I am quite sure that silent speed was 16 fps back when, at least that
is what I believed and still believe.  My 16mm Bolex has 16fps in red
(the only speed so designated), but also has an 18fps speed, along
with 24,32,64, and 12fps.

Of course the variable speed projectors of the earlier generation
gave you all kind of choice including burning up your films.
and my hand crank 35mm full frame lunchbox cameras have whatever I
want, or a somewhat crazy spring wind too.

I was out the other night filming the stars with the hand crank using
bizarre micro slow motion mime skills until I froze and had to be
carried further north  closer to the equator to thaw out....never
mind....I was thinking of  Pablo.
Interesting idea though , now that I think of it. The slowest hand
crank film of all time.....

So many unrealized cinematic possibilities racing against the total
demise of the medium.........I guess we are all up against that.

I think there was at least one old 35mm movie camera way back that
could actually crank backwards......
the problem usually is that there is no "take up" tension when you
crank backwards for more than a foot or so....... I am still
experimenting....