Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 16:28:57 -0800
From: li...@rodeofilmco.com
To: frameworks@jonasmekasfilms.com
Subject: Re: [Frameworks] canyon in the news (bad news dept)

I think David's point about identifying value is very important.

Something I have always wondered is whether this level of debate concerning
format and viewing exisits in other genres or other art forms.  Do art history
teachers and students limit their study only to paintings and sculptures to
which they have direct access?  I don't mean to sound snarky with this
question- but rather to look at other systems that seem to be doing okay.

I want to see 16mm film exhibition survive, and I fully respect artists who
choose not to digitize their work.  But looking at other art forms, I wonder if
it is time for experimental cinema to follow a similar path and look to museums
to archive and exhibit original 16mm film?  We don't bat an eye at the thought
of seeing paintings reproduced in books, on posters, or on slides- in fact we
can learn a great deal from them. We understand that we are looking at a
reproduction and not the original, and if we are drawn to the piece we look
forward to someday seeing the original work- perhaps even go out of our way to
see that original work.  (There is a Rothko retrospective that just opened in
Portland with lines to get in stretching around the block.  I doubt there are
many pieces in the show that couldn't be found in books or even on the
internet- yet people clearly care about seeing the original work.  Seeing
reproductions of the work only has made demand greater)

Couldn't the same art museum model work for most 16mm experimental film?  Focus
the energy on keeping top-notch projection in a few select venues and maintain
pristine prints that don't rent out for $65?   Use the advantages of digital to
build and educate audiences, and turn 16mm exhibition into a destination or
very special event?

I am not saying this is ideal, or something I am advocating for.  And obviously
it would take some funds and at least a few eager institutions.  But is it
possible that the accessibility of 16mm prints of the great Avant Garde
filmmakers is actually a hindrance?  If you could rent an original Mark Rothko
for $75 and show it to art history students every semester would that leave any
excitement for the big traveling retrospective at the museum?

confused as always...
-matt