On Jul 3, 2012, at 12:03 AM, David Tetzlaff wrote:

> With that equipment list, the premise just doesn't work very well. The heyday
> of value for 16mm post stuff probably starts to poop out circa 1975, so it
> wasn't that expensive by 1980, and some of it is still used by people who
> deal with prints.

So what were people editing 16mm film circa 1975?  Avids?  FCP?  3/4" video?

16mm films were being edited on 16mm film until non-linear editing could deal
with matchback to film.  (I am not including things that were intended for
video only -- some of them were edited offline on 3/4" video and then onlined
to 1" tape.)  There wasn't an alternative that made sense.  Offline linear
video editing was an awful thing -- every time you trimmed a frame you had to
reassemble everything after that cut.  Slow, messy, ugly.  Give me a trim bin
any day.

Steenbecks were still in serious use until the early to mid 1990s, when Avids,
Media 100s, and other NLEs came along.

Upright Moviolas never were desirable in 16mm, though in 35mm they had virtues.
 However they still sold for $1000-2000 to those who either didn't know better
or had no other alternatives.

Agree that Moviola flatbeds sucked, though the M77's built-in ashtray and
avocado-green body were truly echt-70s.

Of course there were also Showchrons, CPs, KEMs, Cinemontas, Intercines, and
some other weird ones (the kit you could get from someone in Virginia among
them).

Jeff "still has a Steenbeck" Kreines