Not "advocating".  I don't want to see any elephants killed. I have no interest
in ivory. I can't understand how there could be people who do not understand
that elephants should never be killed. BUt there are. There are people who lie
for money and people who listen to them.  Moreover people who like ivory have
no respect for the law. And the laws are not enforced.

 So what can be done?

As I understand the Chinese, they are pretty pragmatic, if I can generalize.
Maybe taking action to propose a way to get legitimate ivory could deflect some
of the interest in illegal ivory.   Prohibition leads to crime, legalizing and
controlling is better.

When elephants could live and flourish in the wild there were natural deaths
that left tusks.  If a herd was provided with space to thrive tusks could
occasionally be found.  If the space was limited humans might be able to
reverently "cull " the herd by painlessly killing "extra" males and gathering
their tusks. A mother with young would never be killed by rational "keepers."

Poachers are not concerned with keeping elephants alive; they care only for
short term profit.  Poaching must be illegal.  Murdering mother elephants must
be illegal.

Perhaps another possibility is to pressure the Chinese government to enforce
the laws.  I went to the Chinese news in English - CCTV site
http://passport.cntv.cn/app_pass/verify/english/new/login.jsp?errtype=-5#

 and they have articles about the threats to elephants.   So some Chinese are
aware.  How do THEY propose to get the word out to those who buy ivory?

- Sandy

Sandy Maliga

4763 Toland Way
Los Angeles, CA 90042-2255