Hand Carry.

The machines that scan the checked film are very powerful. Things may have changed, but hand carry is the best.
Bring a changing bag.
Insist on hand inspection or swab. Be firm and resolute.
I would bring some dummy film, and explain that it was for them to know what film felt like, and that they would go into the changing bag with one hand, and I would go in with the other. Usually after the first can, they would just wave me through.

By the way, I once sent several cans of still film various speed, 100, 200 and 400. Sent it through the hand check X-ray machines many many times. It was a slow day, but this was before the days of the TSA.

No ill effects.

--
Steven Gladstone
New York Based Filmmaker