Hi Aaron

It would be worth looking at English experimental filmmakers working with
landscape in the 70s-80s - William Raban, Jo Millett, Chris Welsby and
Malcolm LeGrice etc. all figure - as landscape painting (impressionism in
particular) was frequently cited.  To claim direct influence is difficult
but when working with landscape imagery it is impossible to not be aware of
Turner's work and influence cannot be denied.  The book/catalogue "A
Perspective on English Avant-Garde Film: A Touring Exhibition" and the
Landscape edition of Undercut magazine give a good survey of that period.  I
can also acknowledge both Turner and Monet in my own film "Preservation"
which uses the steam from steam trains to bleach-out the image while
exploring representations of speed and fluctuations of light.

Best Wishes

Rob

On 26/02/2014 16:16, "Aaron Juneau" <aaron.jun...@tate.org.uk> wrote:

> Dear frameworks members,
>
> I'm contacting from Tate Etc. Magazine, London in the hope that somebody at
> Frameworks might be able to help me with some research I'm undertaking with
> regard to an article we're publishing in a couple issues time. Essentially the
> article will focus on J.M.W Turner's influence on film. I was wondering
> whether somebody at Frameworks could advise on some interesting, perhaps less
> known filmmakers who have been influenced by him? I'm really looking at hard
> fact and solid evidence as opposed to conjecture.
>
> Any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
>
> My very best,
>

> Aaron Juneau
> Editorial Assistant
> TATE ETC. magazine