Thanks to one and all for your suggestions. To clarify some questions/points
that were raised/made:

By 'expressive dramatizations', I did not intend to refer to 'docu-dramas', or
clips appropriated from fiction films as illustrations within documentaries. So
the question of where the clip or scene came from, while interesting, is not
relevant to what I'm seeking. Unfortunately, I don't have a good memory archive
of films, so the only example that came to mind in my initial request was, 'The
Act of Killing'. But I know there are innumerable other examples.

I recently saw a new doc on the life of Norman Lear, which featured 'flash back
dramatizations' of a child siting on a sound stage in a very sparsely
constructed home; a wall here or there, a suspended window, colored shadows, a
b/w motion picture projection of a memory, etc. This is the best memory I could
muster, but I didn't mention it because it's still not quite as expressive as I
had in mind. Rather than 're-staged', perhaps 'staged' would have been a good
descriptor. Or 'expressively staged'--yes, I think that works best for what I'm
looking for. Regardless, I've been compiling quite a list between Frameworks
and Doculink and when I find a couple good examples, I'll post them as
illustrations for what I'm seeking, and that might breed more suggestions.

While I'm very particular about word choices, and how their denotation and
connotation can be mediated by context, I typed 'docs' rather than
'documentaries' while writing my post simply as a matter of short hand while
typing. I'll leave it all if you'd like to bandy the differences between the
two. Or the implication that verite implies truth. All one need do is consult
the numerous interview in Scott MacDonald's brilliant compendium of interviews
on the intersection of avant garde and documentary genres for how the
documentaries have evolved in practice and by extension, definition. I also
adore Herzog's insistence that anything that moves the film towards a 'deeper
truth' is fair game, no matter how re/constructed.

Here's a really old, short essay I wrote--telling titled, 'Manipulations'--for
a program of experimental docs I curated back in 2001 in Singapore. I think the
basic principles still hold true so I'm linking it here for whatever relevance
to the discussion may be gleaned:
http://www.kenpaulrosenthal.com/manipulations.htm

Cheers, Ken

<http://www.kenpaulrosenthal.com>www.kenpaulrosenthal.com<http://www.kenpaulrosenthal.com>