Hi Ken,

Errol Morris' The Thin Blue Line comes to mind immediately. The
re-enactments are indeed expressive within the film's overall minimalist
approach.

Andy Ditzler
Founder and curator, Film Love: www.filmlove.org
Co-founder, John Q collective: www.johnq.org

John Q in the New York Times Lens blog: http://nyti.ms/2aDWklE

forthcoming:
Journal of American Studies, co-editor, special issue, 2017 (with Joey Orr)