Dear Supporters,

Please forgive my silence over the past few months.  Adjusting to life post probation has not been a cake walk.  I am, though, thankful for so many things.  CEPA Gallery never lost faith in me and returning was a mixed blessing as I needed to immediately rescue its finances and pull it back to the worthy ship it was before my absence.  We are now on the right track and doing exciting things.

Recently, due to circumstances beyond my control I am forced to move my production studio out of the loft in downtown Buffalo and fit it into my house.  Once again, my friends and students are rushing to my rescue to help me make that transition.  Putting all the unfinished projects into my home studio might just make the return to those projects happen.  There is so much “in the can”, as it were.

The recent news of two of my dearest supporters moving on from this life has given me pause.  Carolee Schneemann and Barbara Hammer, both visionary artists, did not hesitate to put themselves forward when they heard of my ordeal with unfair treatment by the Federal Government.  Fortunately, we have Dorothea Braemer to thank for her short “The Censorship Show” … in which both Carolee and Barbara Hammer, and others, participated.  This short film was made in response to my situation and as an outreach tool educating the public about issues relevant to my legal case.  It can be viewed with this link: https://vimeo.com/78072121!

So much life has passed before me since that day when ICE agents came to my office in 2008.  I am also reminded of two other supporters we have lost: filmmaker Tony Conrad and writer Doug Ireland.  They also were important in getting the word out about what was happening to me.  Every supporter who rallied to my cause should know how important you all are to me, and to the cause of freedom from unfair accusations, freedom from government surveillance, freedom of artistic _expression_, etc., etc.

I am beginning to look forward as I work to put the pieces of my personal and artistic life back in place.  What I have lost is being replaced by what I have gained with my community of supporters.  Thank you for keeping me in the game.

Lawrence