> How would I go about repairing it and/or figuring out what=E2=80=99s wrong =
> with it?

I am assuming that there is nothing wrong with it, that it is perfectly fine
and just needs maintenance.  If it needs repair, that is a different matter.

Most projectors have service manuals available which will describe how to do
the standard cleaning and lubrication, and if you are lucky that is all you
will need.  Eikis are more prone than most for the lube to really glop up
to the point where it needs total dissassembly and cleaning with naptha rather
than just the cleaning and lube procedure in the manual.  That quickly runs
into time.

As Julian noted, most Bell and Howell 500-series projectors have a worm gear
which is made of a material that is incompatible with the lubricants they
used, and which cracks.  A new worm gear is available for $20 from Urbanski.
It is an eight hour job to get the thing apart and back together.  I tend to
replace the bearings too since after spending all that time you might as well
replace anything that might wear.  I'd replace the cam followers too if I could
get them, but I can't.  Optech in Boston might; they have hoarded spare
500-series parts for years.  300-series and 1500-series B&H projectors don't do
this but they all have their own oddities.

As he mentioned, the urethane rollers on many Elmo models fail.
New replacements are available.  They aren't cheap, but they aren't very
time consuming to replace and it's the time charges that will kill you.
This is also not a failure, it's a wear item that you expect to replace now
and then, just like you expect to put new brakes on your car.

If you would not be comfortable disassembling a manual transmission or you
think 3-in-1 oil is actually good for something, please, please have a tech
do the work for you.  These projectors are not being made any more and when
they get wrecked they aren't getting replaced.  Proper maintenance will keep
them running a long time.
--scott