This will be posted on National Review Online later today. It's up on my
website at:

http://www.frederica.com/writings/the-judgement-of-the-next-generation.html

I'm sorry not to be able to attend the March today -- recovering from the
usual winter crud, with the new feature that I got an ear infection and
ruptured the eardrum (apparently, it just heals itself). The meds aren't
working on it, so I've been getting well the old-fashioned way, lots of rest
and fluids. Man, it takes a *long* time to get well this way. The natural
way, the "green" way I guess you could say :-/

It gives me a different perspective on what illness meant before
antibiotics. My daughter-in-law Jocelyn said that that must be why we're
told to visit the sick, because they were sick a long time, just sitting
there in bed. "I've got a cold, see you in two weeks!"

and that reminds me of a line I read years ago, and wish I could attribute
to the right person: "Most of the work in the world is done by people who
don't feel very well." The pyramids were built by people who had toothaches
and fevers and cancer. We sure live in a bubble of good health and comfort,
compared to the rest of the world and the rest of history.

*********

Just two days after the inauguration, another crowd fills Washington
streets, the pro-lifers who gather each year for the "March for Life." This
January 22 marks the 36th anniversary of Roe v Wade, and after so many years
with little change or improvement, the nation has grown a bit blasé about
this annual demonstration against abortion. We still say abortion is a "hot
issue"- but if you think about it, it's not as hot as it used to be. The
abortion controversy used to command cover space on magazines, and TV
networks showcased hour-long debates. You don't see that anymore.

You could say that people just got tired of hearing about it. Year after
year the two sides said mostly the same thing, and nothing much changed.
Eventually, public attention was bound to sidle off to a newer, more
exciting topic (gay marriage, anyone?). When attention drifted, it was the
pro-choice side that had command of the status quo.

And you could say that that settles that; from now on there will be less and
less talk about abortion, and we'll just get used to things the way they
are.

But I can imagine things going a different way. Not soon-maybe not till the
baby boomers have passed from the scene-but it's possible that a younger
generation will see abortion very differently. And the reason is, as the
saying goes, "Nobody knows when life begins." With abortions now running
around 1.2 million per year, the total number of abortions since Roe v Wade
is about 49 million. That's a big number-about a sixth of the US population.
It's a big number, if you're not absolutely sure that it's *not* life.

After all, if you saw a little girl hit by a car, you're going to yell, "Get
an ambulance!" not "Get a shovel!" It's in the very fabric of humanity to be
on the side of life, if there's the faintest hope that life exists. We don't
throw children away when we're not sure whether they're alive or not. And,
as the pro-choice side never stops saying, it's not that they're positive a
fetus is "not alive" - it's that they're not sure.

When I was a young fire-breathing college feminist in the early 70's, we
didn't see abortion as a melancholy private decision-it was an act of
liberation. By choosing abortion, a woman could show that she was the only
person in charge of her life, and bowed to no one else's control. But this
formulation turned sour as the grief felt by post-abortion woman began to
accumulate. The flip side of autonomy is loneliness, and for many women,
their abortion decision was linked to emotional abandonment.

And then there was the advent of ultrasound technology, enabling live images
of a baby moving in the womb. In 1989, word went round the pro-life movement
to order the tape of pollster Harrison Hickman's presentation at that year's
NARAL convention. On it he said, "Nothing has been as damaging to our cause
as the advances in technology which have allowed pictures of the developing
fetus, because people now talk about that fetus in much different terms than
they did 15 years ago. They talk about it as a human being, which is not
something that I have an easy answer how to cure."

So there are some reasons to think that the abortion question has not been
settled, but has merely gone underground. That might be a necessary step. It
has to go away so that it can be rediscovered, and seen in a fresh light.

I don't expect that reconsideration soon: my Boomer generation will never
see abortion as anything other than the wise and benevolent gift we bestowed
on all future generations. We still control the media, the universities, and
so forth, and it will take time for all of us to topple off the end of the
conveyer belt.

But the time is coming when a younger generation will be in charge, and they
may well see abortion differently. They could see it, not as "a woman's
choice" but as a form of state-sanctioned violence inflicted on their
generation. It was their brothers and sisters who died; anyone under the age
of 36 could have been aborted (and somewhere around a fourth or a fifth of
all pregnancies, in fact, are aborted). A younger generation might feel a
strange kinship with the brothers and sisters, classmates and coworkers, who
are missing.

And I'm afraid that, if they do see things that way, they aren't going to go
easy on my generation. Our acceptance of abortion is not going to look like
an understandable goof. The next generation can fairly say, "It's not like
they didn't know." They'll say, "After all, they had sonograms." And they
may judge us to be monsters.

Maybe that won't happen. Maybe future generations won't think twice about
abortion. But even we who have grown sick of talking about it still harbor
some doubts. In particular, people who think of themselves as defenders of
the weak and the oppressed must have many a quiet moment when they wonder,
"How, in this one issue, did I wind up on the side that's defending death?"

There's a lot of ambivalence out there, and a lot of unspoken grief too, I
think. So you never know. Pro-choice may have won the day-but sooner or
later, that day will end. No generation can rule from the grave. When that
time comes, another generation will sit in judgment of ours. And they are
not obligated to be kind.

********
Frederica Mathewes-Green
www.frederica.com