it's been two months! I've been writing, all right, but pushing to finish a
book on the Jesus Prayer. It got so extended with material explaining the
context of the Prayer, the theology / spirituality of Eastern Orthodoxy,
that it looks like we're going to split it into two books. It's like
separating conjoined twins. So I've been busy, and will be busy rewriting
for some time to come. The Jesus Prayer book is due out in the Fall, and
perhaps we can have the Introduction-to-Orthodoxy book out a year from now.

I got to see this movie with my granddaughter Hannah the other night, and
liked it well enough, on its own terms. HEre's the link on my website:

http://www.frederica.com/writings/hannah-montana-the-movie.html#entry3611195

and the link on National Review Online:

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YmMyYWEzZjIxOTQ0MDYxNDExOWIxYTlmOTQ4ZDk0ZGQ=

I also got to see Disney's "Earth", which comes out on Earth Day, April
22--I'll send that review then. It's gorgeous.
I need to get into my website and update photos. The big family news at
present is that son Stephen is headed to seminary in August, St. Vladimir's
Seminary in Crestwood, NY. Wife Jocelyn and daughter Ruth will join him as
soon as they can; a baby brother is due just days before classes begin. We
are so proud to have a son going into the priesthood.

Have a very blessed Good Friday and Easter, to my Western Christian friends,
and a blessed Holy Week and Pascha to the Orthodox friends, who are just one
week behind. (Don't forget to buy your discount Easter candy on Monday!)

********
Whoever's in charge of truth-in-labeling in Washington needs to take a look
at the phenomenon called "Hannah Montana". That's the name of a fictitious
world-famous pop star, who conceals her secret identity in order to live a
normal life as fictitious high-schooler Miley Stewart; this way, she has
"The Best of Both Worlds" (as Hannah-Miley's hit song has it). What needs
re-classification is the omni-capable 16-year-old, Miley Cyrus, who portrays
this double character. She's frequently described as a singer, a pop star,
or a rock star; you can call her an actress, too, since she's spent the last
three years starring in the Disney Channel show named for her character, and
now carries her first narrative film (a concert film released last year was
a blockbuster). Pop star, actress, ordinary high school student? Certify her
for a whole new title: comedienne.

Cyrus and her co-stars roll through this movie like teenaged, musical Three
Stooges (an arresting image, I admit). In the opening minutes she's hit on
the head by a falling coconut, hit on the head by a basketball, hijacks a
golf cart and careers through the backstage hallways of a concert hall,
crashes through a paper scrim to appear wearing the poster of her own
larger-than-life face, and barely scrambles onto the stage lift in time for
her first song.

Shortly thereafter she's shopping in a fashionable boutique, admiring a pair
of fancy high heels, only to have fellow-shopper Tyra Banks imperiously
claim them. The two are soon in a full-fledged "shoe fight;" at one point
Cyrus clambers onto Banks's back, while the model spins around trying to
swat at her. Later, a horse snatches the wig off her head, she stuffs eggs
into the pockets of her overalls and then lands on her fanny, and she rolls
off the roof of a chickenhouse. (Scolding her friend: "Don't you know never
to wake up somebody who's sleeping on top of a chickenhouse?") There seems
to be no variety of physical humor that Cyrus won't attempt for a laugh, a
trait not always found among teenage actresses and divas.

"Hannah Montana: The Movie" is full of old-fashioned slapstick, vaudeville
stuff, and Cyrus is good at it. Nothing about it is what you'd call
clever-the Marx brothers look like humanities professors in comparison-but
it sure does have mighty appeal for its single and well-defined target
audience: little girls. Not the littlest girls, whom Disney snaps up
virtually at birth with their battalion of animated princesses. Cyrus is for
the mid-years girls, the ones in elementary school. ("I'm a pre-teen" said
my granddaughter, age 8, on our way to the movie. "Really?" I asked. "Aren't
you what they call a 'tween'?" "No," she said.)

It turns out that girls this age like pratfalls, muddy ponds, and exploding
birthday cakes as much as their brothers do. Anyone over that age is likely
to be bored, and from some quarters Cyrus's Hannah Montana character
attracts the same kind of hatred that Barney the dinosaur used to reap. The
anger is ostensibly against big corporations that brainwash little girls
(though I suspect much of the contempt arises from pure, spontaneous
embarrassment). Moms feel ambivalent, certainly, about their daughters being
so swiftly captivated by the entertainment giants, whose offerings always
conclude with an exit through the gift shop. But there aren't many
alternatives for such parents, if they own a TV. If Nickelodeon is too
screamy and coarse, too full of ads for noisy gadgets and fluorescent
cereals, then the Disney channel looks like an oasis in comparison; its
humor is broad but not off-color, parents are depicted respectfully, and all
its commercials are for other well-behaved Disney products.

So what does a little girl want? Watch "Hannah Montana," and you can glean
what no doubt cost Disney millions in market research. She wants to be a pop
star, a princess, the center of attention; she wants everyone who sees her
to love her and gush with adoration. (Note: there is only *one* rock star.
This is not a story about a rock *band*, nor are fellow-rock stars
particularly visible. Just as there is no "i" in "team," there is no "team"
in "princess.") She wants to be an ordinary person too, with a funny,
loveable, infuriating big brother and a strong, loving dad to guide her
(mom, cognizant of narrative requirements, had the forethought to die a few
years back). She wants a best friend who knows her secret, and plenty of
other friends who don't. She dreams of being in high school-the lockers, the
textbooks, the big game, the whole thing.

She's supposed to want something about boys, but at this age is not sure
what. So when Miley, visiting at her grandmother's Tennessee farm, finds
herself needing to hitch a ride on an already-occupied horse, she sits well
behind her handsome young rescuer, Travis, arms crossed in front of her
chest, with plenty of daylight between them. Toward the end of the movie the
moment finally arrives for a kiss. (I am assuming, by the way, that you just
really don't feel any need to preserve suspense.) We see the two faces
approach each other, then there's a cut-and suddenly we're standing way
back, looking at the back of Cyrus's head. Whew, that was close.

Sure, there's not much here to interest an older viewer, but the little girl
in your house will be in paradise. If you accompany her to the theater, keep
your eye on this young singer-actress-comedienne, Miley Cyrus. She's pretty,
but not intimidatingly gorgeous; she has a wide mouth, a low voice, and a
just-folks throaty laugh. She's relaxed and good-natured, unaffected, at
ease, in a way that I think can't be an act. Cyrus is just plain
likeable-and she's only 16. If her material is as well chosen all her life
as it has been in these early years, we're in for a treat for decades to
come.
About the middle of the movie, Cyrus carries off an extended farce sequence
where she must, as Hannah Montana, attend a fancy dinner given by the mayor
(lobsters, no less), and simultaneously have her first date with Travis, as
Miley Stewart, in a restaurant directly across the street. She races back
and forth, making frantic excuses on both sides, trying to change into the
correct costume along the way, entangled each time in a revolving door. She
slides into the chair across from her boyfriend-to-be still wearing a
lobster bib, one emblazoned with a lobster bearing the face of the mayor.
When Travis asks about it, she tries frantically to blabber her way out.
That's when I thought: somewhere, Lucille Ball is smiling.

********
Frederica Mathewes-Green
www.frederica.com