I really liked it!

Also, I wanted to mention an upcoming film that looks very interesting:

Mysteries of the Jesus Prayer <http://www.mysteriesofthejesusprayer.com/>

This documentary explores Orthodox spirituality, the Jesus Prayer in
particular, through visits to men's and women's monasteries in Egypt, Mt
Sinai, Mt Athos, Romania, Ukraine, and Russia. Monastics talk about growth
in union with God through the discipline of prayer, and their own
experiences, as well as the wisdom they have learned from others. It's going
to be very rich. My book, "The Jesus
Prayer"<http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Prayer-Ancient-Desert-Tunes/dp/1557256594>,
is the fruit of just my experience and research, but in this film we'll be
hearing from those who are most experienced in prayer, inheritors of the
ancient tradition. It's due to come out in 2011, and I'm very much looking
forward to seeing it.

We got a new grandbaby a week ago, Evangeline Beatrice Rose
Mathewes<http://www.frederica.com/gallery/the-mathewes-greens/>,
who makes it 3 boys and 3 girls for David and Marcella. Just in time for
Fathers' Day! Speaking of which, a very happy Fathers' Day to all the dads
out there. A trip to see Toy Story 3 may be just the thing to brighten your
day and make you feel particularly dad-dy.

*Toy Story 3*

In what might be Pixar’s best movie ever, Andy heads off to college while
Buzz, Woody, and the rest of the gang face a new and more dangerous life.

4 Stars

Rated G

Genre:  Family, Animation

Theater Release: June 18, 2010

Pixar Animation Studios

Directed by: Lee Unkrich

Runtime: 103 min.

Cast: Tom Hanks (Woody), Tim Allen (Buzz), Joan Cusack (Jessie), Ned Beatty
(Lotso), Don Rickles (Mr. Potato Head)

Toy Story 3

By Frederica Mathewes-Green

posted 06/17/10

*Toy Story 3* is as good as any movie Pixar Studios has made, and better
than a few of them. But when you consistently achieve excellence, there’s
this problem: people start expecting *more*. A merely excellent movie is not
enough. Each one must be more suspenseful, surprising, original, hilarious,
and emotionally satisfying than the last. Each success becomes a rack on
which the next attempt is measured.

Since some of the characters in *Toy Story 3 *are returning from earlier
films, the challenge to make each film more original than the last was more
difficult. So, as I watched, I tried to imagine how I’d feel about this
movie if I’d encountered it first among the *Toy Story* series. I’d be
tempted to say it’s Pixar’s best film, I think—though when I recall *The
Incredibles*, *Ratatouille*, and *Monsters, Inc*., it’s a close call. *Toy
Story 3 *is excellent, as usual, but we’ve seen some of this excellence
before.

The film opens with a funny, exciting action sequence which introduces most
of the toy friends. Cowboy hero Woody is trying to stop One-Eyed Bart
(a.k.a. Mr. Potato Head) and Evil Dr. Porkchop (a piggy bank, but it’s “Mr.
Evil Dr. Porkchop to you”) from sending a trainload of orphans (troll dolls)
plummeting from a dynamited bridge. As terrific as this is, I was a little
worried that Pixar had abandoned their human-scale storytelling for
something more flashy. Never fear: this scene turns out to be in the
imagination of their owner, Andy, about seven years old. (We’re watching him
play on a videotape his mom is making, recalling the delightful
movie-within-movie openings of *Monsters, Inc* and *Up*.)

But as Randy Newman gravel-trucks his way through the beloved *Toy Story *theme
song, at the words, “As the years go by, our friendship will never die,” the
music stops. It’s ten years later and Andy is going off to college. His mom
tells him that his room has to be cleared out, and everything sorted into
containers for college, the attic, or trash. When the toys hear this, they
are distraught; cowgirl Jessie says bitterly, “I shoulda seen this coming.
It’s Emily all over again.”

In *Toy Story 2* Jessie told her story of being loved by a little girl, and
then shoved under the bed and forgotten as that girl grew up. That forms the
premise for one of the most extraordinary themes I’ve ever seen in a
so-called children’s movie, that toys are supposed to keep on loving their
owners even though their owners will tire of them. That’s a profound
thought, even for adults, and one that arises, with variations, in many
Pixar films.

The band of toys ends up neither in the trash nor the attic but at a day
care center, where the toys are ruled by a deceptively cuddly bear named
Lotso (short for Lots-o’-Huggin’
Bear<http://disney.go.com/toystory/activities/large_poster.html?url=images/large_posters/ts3_poster_lotso.jpg>;
“He smells like strawberries!”). The newbies are thrilled to see toys being
actively played with, and Lotso tells them that when the kids get older and
move on, new kids come in and take their place. They will always be played
with, but they don’t have any particular owners. “No owners means no
heartbreak,” he says.

However, Andy’s toys don’t end up in the room with the more-civilized older
kids. They’re put in the Caterpillar Room, where toddlers leave the toys
abused, defaced, and broken (recalling the first *Toy Story*), while the
toys that are in the know shiver in hiding (recalling the early Pixar short,
*Tin Toy* <http://www.pixar.com/shorts/tt/theater/index.html>).

It’s no spoiler to say that the rest of the film is about how the toys try
to escape. We’ve seen great escape or obstacle-course sequences in every
Pixar film. There’s nothing stale in this one; even when you can guess what
*needs *to happen next, you won’t be able guess *how* it happens. The
dialogue is consistently ingenious, and the new characters (both toys and
humans) are delightful and fully-formed. There’s a side story of Barbie and
Ken meeting and falling in love (“It’s like we were made for each other!”),
which is as hilarious as you’d expect, but it’s also organically part of the
story and not extraneous fluff.

At one potentially perilous point, the tone turns suitably sober as well as
genuinely suspenseful. There even comes a moment when the toys, believing
there’s no hope, turn to each other with brave smiles, grasp each others’
hands, and accept what seems to be inevitable. It’s a long, quiet moment,
and I don’t think I’ve seen anything like it in a so-called “children’s
movie.” Usually the exciting moment-of-doom climax means only increasingly
agitated music and choruses of “Oh no!” But leave it to Pixar to handle such
a scene with surprising gravitas.

To say that some elements of *Toy Story 3* are a bit familiar is not a
complaint. There’s always room for variations on an excellent theme. It’s
not like you’re going to see this movie only one time, after all. This is
one more Pixar movie you’ll be glad to watch over and over again.

*Talk About It*

1. When the toys hear that they’re going to be put away, they express
different opinions. One says that their job is always to “be there for
Andy,” no matter what he wants. Others emphasize their responsibility to
each other, even if they are no longer with Andy: “The important thing is to
stick together.” The toy soldiers declare that “We done our duty” and set
off on their own. Is one of these opinions the “right” one? Why or why not?

2. Lotso sees his little-girl owner cuddling an identical Lotso. Does that
mean she didn’t really love the “original” Lotso? If something exists as
millions of copies, what does it mean to love a particular one?

3. One toy declares that living at the day care center means “We’re masters
of our own fate.” Is this true? Why would he feel that way?

*The Family Corner *

*Toy Story 3 *is rated G, which according to the MPAA means it “contains
nothing that would offend parents for viewing by their children.” There is
one potty joke in the short, *Day & Night*, that comes before the feature.
Nothing to object to in the movie itself, except that younger children may
be frightened by some images. A windup monkey toy with bulging eyes and
clapping cymbals, in particular, could be scary to little ones.

********
Frederica Mathewes-Green
www.frederica.com