this is a potential fix. i woulsd still like to figure out why i have to put the
cast there at all for vc5. if i define STRICT it will compile without the cast
liek it does in other places but then it is unable to link due to another function
in that file... all in all it is very frustrating. your idea is probably the best
way to sidestep this in the short term.

elrod